hi

Animal Adoption

Sunday, September 29, 2013

It's Not Bad to Choose Something New Right?

 
I finally got a mentorship, yay! However, it is not in my original choose boo. Even though I was not able to find a clinic that was willing to accept me I am still working with animals that are so cute. I am volunteering at the Upland Animal Shelter and even though I finish exhausted I love what I do because I am able to spend time with all types of animals. When I arrive at the shelter I usually head straight to the kitchen and dry some dishes, then I check on the laundry, and finally I look around the shelter saying hi to familiar furry faces and to new ones as well. Then I repeat, cleaning around the shelter on occasions as well. It might seem as a simple job however there is always the possibility to get bumps and scratches. One time I was helping a girl clean a rabbits cage and while I was holding the bunny it began to kick and it tore my gloves and it scratched my arms. Plus animals are not the only way to get hurt. I have received several shots now trying to fold blankets as I took them out of the dryer, this will be a long mentorship of dangerous work. I work on my EQ every time I go to the shelter because when visitors drop by I go up to them and ask if I can help them out in anything. Sometimes they just want to know what the kennel cards mean or they want to be able to interact with a puppy or cat. I have the ability to take out the animal of their choice and take them either outside or to a little cubicle so they can pet the animal and see if it is the one. Sometimes I encourage the visitors to take the pet home and sometimes I just watch, answering questions they might have. Either works because some visitors don't need a push to adopt the animal. I will continue to work hard and try new methods of how to promote adoption.

Starting from the top left corner moving to the right and around: A new kitty on display, the laundry room, the kitchen, a volunteer (I can't remember his name), Ed with Bernise (a cute giant schnauzer), same new kitty on display, Evelyn outside with Enano, Maria sweeping the cat isolation room, Timber enjoying the outdoors, Lollipop in her kennel, Ed shaking Bernise's paw, Timber making is way towards me. In the center is Timber looking majestic.



No comments:

Post a Comment